Cypriot grain salad
Nutty and nutritious, this Cypriot grain salad made famous by George Calombaris is a great accompaniment to a summer barbecue, Mediterranean feast, or a weekday lunch.
Prep Time: 30 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup freekah (or cracked wheat or quinoa)
- 1/2 cup Puy lentils
- 2 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 2 tbsp baby capers
- 1/2 cup currants
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 pomegranate, deseeded, to serve
- 1 cup thick Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 tbsp honey
Step 1: Blanch Freekah and lentils
Blanch freekah and lentils separately in boiling water until both just cooked.
Drain well and allow to cool.
Step 2: Toast nuts
In the oven, toast pumpkin seeds, slivered almonds and pine nuts until slightly golden
Step 3: Chop herbs
Evenly chop coriander and parsley.
Step 4: de-seed the pomegranate
Step 5: Mix yogurt dressing
Mix the yoghurt, ground cumin and honey until combined.
Step 6: Combine salad ingredients
In a medium bowl, place the coriander, parsley, red onion, freekah, lentils, toasted nuts, capers, currants, lemon juice and olive oil. Mix well and season to taste.
Step 7: Serve and enjoy!
Place into serving dish and top with cumin yoghurt and pomegranate seeds.