Sicilian Chicken oven bake
Our Sicilian-inspired chicken bake is a comforting and tasty dish that brings together succulent chicken thighs, smoky bacon, earthy mushrooms, and aromatic herbs. Slow-cooked in a rich tomato-based sauce with a splash of brandy and white wine, it’s a hearty and satisfying meal that will transport your taste buds to Italy.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 1 hour 50 min
- 8 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin on (about 1.6 kg)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, thick slices
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 380g bacon, rind removed (reserved to render), diced into thick pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 6 medium shallots, left whole
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 500g mushrooms, white button and king brown, halved
- 2 chorizo sausages, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 bunch tarragon leaves
- 120ml brandy (1/2 cup)
- 120ml white wine (1/2 cup)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 x 400g cans of crushed tomatoes
- 240ml chicken stock (1 cup)
Step 1: Preheat the oven
Preheat the oven to 170°C.
Step 2: Brown the chicken
Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Heat a large pan over high heat. Brown the chicken thighs in batches, starting with the skin side down. Add olive oil and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side to render the fat. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
Transfer the browned chicken thighs to a large ovenproof pot over low heat.
Step 3: Cook the sauce
Step 4: Combine and cook
Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken in the ovenproof pot. Cover the pot with baking paper and place an ovenproof lid on top.
Transfer the pot to the preheated oven and cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes.